David has over 9 years experience, working as a specialist in all aspects of employment law.
"an absolute professional. I feel like I am in a very safe pair of hands"
David leads the relationship with several of our key clients and has a specialty in the health and safety field. He is therefore well versed in the implications of the recent changes to the health and safety legislation in New Zealand.
David has gained specific experience of the public sector through periods of secondment to several public sector agencies.
"the advice is good and timely. He is an asset to your firm"
David is pragmatic and solutions focused and works closely with his clients to understand their circumstances and deliver for them the results they require.
- Successfully defended an interim reinstatement application in the Employment Relations Authority;
- undertaken several complex investigations including in respect of allegations of bullying and harassment;
- frequently presented training for Human Resources professionals as well as for individual clients, regarding performance management and health and safety;
- regularly represented clients at mediation to resolve employment relationship problems and settle litigation;
- provided advice regarding collective agreements;
- provided detailed and strategic advice to large organisations regarding proposed approaches to restructuring;
- advised Public sector clients on implications of the Local Government Act 2002;
- resolved complex issues arising out of restructure;
- undertaken an investigation in respect of alleged misconduct that was also potentially a criminal offence;
- managed complex disciplinary processes.
David has been sole counsel in Employment Relations Authority cases representing large employer clients. He has also assisted in Employment Court and Court of Appeal hearings. While in the UK, he managed litigation in conjunction with counsel on behalf of major public sector clients while at the Treasury Solicitor’s Department in London.
Martin v Accident Compensation Corp  NZERA Wellington 4
Fox v Hereworth School Trust Board  NZEmpC 206
Faapito v Chief Executive of the Department of Corrections (2012) 10 NZELR 604 (EMC)
French v Accident Compensation Corporation  NZERA Wellington 2
Corrections Association of New Zealand v Chief Executive of the Department of Corrections  ERA Auckland AA488/10
Bolland v Chief Executive, Department of Corrections  ERA Auckland AA422/10
Faapito v Chief Executive of the Department of Corrections  ERA Auckland AA295/10
Corrections Association of New Zealand Inc v Chief Executive of the Department of Corrections  7 NZELR 171 (EMC)
Prakash v Chief Executive of the Department of Corrections  ERA Auckland AA139/09
Hutchen v Department of Corrections  ERA Christchurch CA47/09
Duff v Chief Executive, Department of Corrections  ERA Auckland AA256/08
Appointments and associations
- Member of Human Resources Institute NZ
- NZ Law Society, Wellington Employment Law Committee